Pro-Ject X2 Turntable
In 1991 Pro-Ject started a revolution in HiFi with the introduction of the Pro-Ject 1 turntable. A new high-end, low budget turntable at a time when CD was king. Against all odds, Pro-Ject was creating interest in analog audio at a time when others were turning their backs, and the success was only down to three critical philosophies:
– Simple yet technically correct design
– High-quality valuable materials
– Fully handcrafted, expert engineering, made in the EU
There are no fancy, unnecessary features; it was a strictly manual turntable design and all of these decisions resulted in unbelievable sound at a fantastic price.
Pro-Ject wanted the X2 to lift the incredibly high standard set by its smaller brother the X1, to new limits. The X2 is made for those who take great joy in the fine details, the build-quality, the high-grade materials, and even more audio performance.
Structurally, the X2 is supported by its large, heavy, dense and stiff MDF structure, reducing unwanted resonances to almost imperceptible levels. By adding this extra mass, the X2 is even quieter, allowing vinyl reproduction to become more detailed and precise. Inside, it houses a sophisticated DC/AC generator board which, combined with the convenient speed control board, delivers clean and stable power to the silent motor system.
The tonearm is longer – 9“ in length – and the tube has a wider diameter and the carbon/ aluminum sandwich construction results in better internal damping. This also means, the entire tonearm bearing is upgraded to compensate for the extra mass; altogether tracking will be more precise, stable and accurate. The increased mass makes the tonearm an excellent fit for low compliance MC cartridges. The one-piece design avoids vibrations caused by detachable headshells. The TPE damped counterweight reduces arm-cartridge resonances by as much as 50%.
A good motor is already very quiet. To get the best performance, Pro-Ject has improved the motor suspension. This will allow the motor to run stable and free from outside influences. Remaining vibrations are damped and eliminated, so they are not transmitted onto the chassis, platter, and cartridge. The X2‘s motor chassis is carefully balanced and suspended on a precision-tuned TPE belt; this way the motor chassis is effectively decoupled from the main plinth for optimal performance.
The X2 comes pre-mounted with a Sumiko Moonstone cartridge.
It features a full aluminum tonearm base instead of a cheap plastic flange for better and stiffer fixing to the chassis with azimuth and VTA adjustment. Alu/TPE sandwich feet are height adjustable, and better at isolating than previous versions.
All Pro-Ject turntables come with a high-quality phono RCA cable. The Connect it E is a semi-balanced, low-capacitance cable, with superior shielding. Compared to other digital and analog music sources, the signal coming from a turntable cartridge is very fragile in nature and cheap RCA cables often do not provide the ideal conditions for getting a phono signal to an amplifier. The Connect it E is purpose-designed for this exact application.
The X2‘s luxury 8 layers of painting and the hand-polished finish are 3-4 times more expensive than simple foils.
- Electronic speed control with 33/45 rpm speed change, which acts as “Speed Box” with ultimate speed stability
- Electronically regulated precision motor with improved damping construction for the least amount of vibration and noise
- Sub-platter with extremely low 0.001 mm bearing tolerances
- Stainless steel platter-bearing with soft bronze bushing and Teflon mirrors for lowest rumble and noise, and a stable, accurate speed transmission
- 9” one-piece tonearm tube with best internal damping by the ultra-rigid carbon/alu sandwich construction
- TPE damped counterweight reduces arm-cartridge resonances by 50%
- Azimuth and VTA adjustment
- Resonance free, 2 kg heavy acryl platter
- Heavy, 50mm thick, highest quality CNC‘d MDF chassis
- Luxury 8 layers of painting and hand-polished finish or real-wood, satin-waxed veneer
- Super shielded, semi-symmetrical, low-capacitance phono cables - purpose-designed by Pro-Ject
- Height adjustable, alu machined, vibration-absorbing feet
- Handmade in Europe
- Sumiko Moonstone MM cartridge pre-mounted
Speed: 33, 45, 78 (electronic speed change)
Principle: Belt drive
Platter: 30 mm, 2 kg acryl
Speed variance (33/45): 0.25% / 0.2%
Wow & flutter (33/45): 0.12% / 0.1%
Main bearing: stainless steel
Tonearm: 9” carbon/aluminum sandwich
Effective arm length: 230 mm
Overhang: 18 mm
Effective tonearm mass: 13.5 g
Tracking force range: 0 - 30 mN (18mN recommended for Pick it 2M Silver)
Included accessories: 15 V DC / 0.8 A power supply, dust cover, Connect it E Phono cable, felt mat
Power consumption: 4.5 W max /< 0.3 W standby
Dimensions (WHD): 18.1" x 5.9" x 13.38"
Weight (net/gross): 22 lb