PrimaLuna DiaLogue Premium HP Power Amplifier (BLEMISHED)
Fully tested, functions perfectly. See photos for cosmetic issues
Serial #: N4427354
PrimaLuna is one of the few audio brands that holds its value over the years. While the new EVO series has taken PrimaLuna to a new height, the DiaLogue Series is not far behind, and this is a great deal that will not last long.
Nick on side just above power switch. Marks on side.
Comes with a three-year parts-and-labor warranty, and a six-month warranty on the tubes.
HP Means High Power
If you have read about the incredible Stereophile Class A rated DiaLogue Premium power amplifier, you already know that at $3199 it competes firmly with amplifiers costing $10,000 and more while being better built, more flexible, and easier to use.
MORE POWER, NOT MORE HASSLES
All PrimaLuna's have incredible slam because of bandwidth. Power is secondary, and can in fact be bad news for unwary customers. To learn more about power, read Less Power, More Bass. But for customers with speakers that are 86dB efficient or lower, that have larger rooms and play at higher volumes, they may need more power.
The cheap way to get more power from a tube amp is to raise the tube's plate and screen voltage, and bias them harder. It costs nothing to do so as a manufacturer, but we refuse to follow the pack. You will see claims of as high as 100 watts from a pair of KT120's. Initially, the customer is happy. But talk to the same customer in a year when his tubes are worn out. PrimaLuna amps are famous for long tube life, running cool, and being absolutely the easiest amplifier to own.
The best way to add power and keep running cool is an bigger build. We increased the size of the power transformer, added all the supporting circuitry including tube sockets, Swiss silver-plated OFC wiring, Takman resistors, SCR Tinfoil caps and a second Adaptive AutoBias board. And of course, four more EL34's for unrelenting power. And if you want the ultimate, add a second HP later and flip the switches to mono. Incredible!
Let's look at the way this amplifier is designed and built.
PrimaLuna's latest version of Adaptive AutoBias. Bias is very important, and before you buy anything you need the click the blue link above to learn the basics. If anybody tells you that they have auto bias, ask them precisely how. It's 99% likely to be untrue. As with all PrimaLuna amps, you never have to worry about biasing your amp ever again, and the need for matched tubes is eliminated. Just plug in EL34, KT88, or KT120 (as well as many others) and AAB does the rest while improving sound quality. Tubes are constantly monitored and kept in their best operating range, reducing distortion by up to 50%! REMEMBER! Adaptive AutoBias is passive, so it's NOT in the signal path. There is no downside.
What's new and improved? Tubes are monitored and adjusted like all PrimaLuna's. But this new board will actually tell you when a tube fails, and which one it is! A red LED will light in front of the bad tube, and you simply replace it. No more guessing, buying whole sets, making adjustments, and amps breaking because you made a mistake. Use it every day without worry or stress.
- Swiss made wiring. Imported, silver-plated, oxygen-free continuous crystal (OCC) copper with a Teflon dielectric wiring is used in the critical signal paths for superior signal speed and increased clarity.
- TAKMAN Resistors. Easy to identify through their pink color, these premium resistors made in Japan are popular with those who rebuild and upgrade their gear. "Modders" love TAKMAN for their low noise and linearity.
- SCR Tinfoil Caps. Made in France, these capacitors are used in the critical signal paths and while they are expensive, the PrimaLuna team they could not be left out after careful listening comparisons with many different types.
- AC Offset Killer. A PrimaLuna exclusive. PrimaLuna's parent company Durob Audio B.V. sells this as a stand alone item under the Ah! brand name. The fabulous company P.S. Audio sold something similar as a "Humbuster". It's job is to keep the main AC power transformer as quiet as possible. PrimaLuna custom-winds a superb AC toroidal transformer that is low in hum. This circuit takes it a to a place no other manufacturer dreams of going. Adding this to your stereo would cost hundreds.
- New front-end circuitry. The DiaLogue Premium uses three 12AU7 tubes per channel. The result is even lower distortion and increased bandwidth. The change in dynamic range is stunning!
- Triode/Ultralinear switching. In ultralinear, the sound is just that. Ultra-linear. The flattest response. In triode mode you get the sound that people would compare to 300B single-ended amps. A warmer, more liquid presentation. Which is better? There is no answer. It depends on your tastes, the speakers, and what you are listening to. It's up to you. The best part is, that unlike other brands, you can change on the fly from your listening position with the remote control and you don't have to turn off the amp to do it!
- Stereo or Monoblock operation - It's as simple as flipping a switch, and the DiaLogue Premium Amplifier instantly switches from stereo to monoblock operation! Buy one, and as your budget grows your system can grow too. The benefit of monoblock operation is the amp now has dual output transformers for the best coupling with your speakers, and the addition of a 2-ohm speaker tap added to the 4 and 8-ohm taps. While all PrimaLuna amps are made for ribbons like Magnaplanars and electrostatics like Martin-Logan, you haven't heard anything until you have heard a PrimaLuna monoblock!
The DiaLogue Premium Series also includes the same innovative circuits found in the ProLogue Premium series, that protect the amp and improve sound at every level:
- BTI-circuit. BTI stands for "Bad Tube Indicator." On the chassis’ deck in front of each power tube, is a small LED that lights up if the tube goes bad. The circuit then puts the amp into protection mode. With other brands, this may be when you have to break out the soldering iron to replace a plate resistor, and replace two or four tubes because your amp requires matched sets. With PrimaLuna, you just replace the tube it tells you to (no matched tubes required), and turn the amp back on. No hassles, no headaches.
- PTP-circuit. If the power transformer should overheat, this "Power Transformer Protection" circuit cuts primary power, allows the amp to cool down, then resets itself.
- OTP-circuit. The "Output Transformer Protection" circuit protects the output transformers in the event of user error crossing speaker wires.
- +B relay. Replaces the plate fuse and works in conjunction with the OTP-circuit to protect the amp against tube failure. This method is less intrusive sonically and the relay resets itself once the faulty tube is replaced.
- PrimaLuna's true-value, low stress design philosophy. Many manufacturers fudge on their power ratings, claiming power that is mathematically impossible. Every seasoned tube owners knows that 20 watts from a tube amp is a ton of power. What is really important is that PrimaLuna runs their power tubes up to 40% easier that other manufacturers. You can tell easily by putting your hand on top of a PrimaLuna amp. They run cooler than others. There is no reason to run tubes at their jagged edge. Why do manufactures do it?
As with all PrimaLuna components, the DiaLogue Premium Amplifier is made by hand with the finest point-to-point wiring and quality equal to—or better than—any product you can buy at any price. All packaged in a high-gloss, hand-rubbed finish.
(8 Ohms, 1% THD)
|70 watts x 2 (EL34)
73 watts x 2 (KT88)
85 watts x 2 (KT120)
96 watts x 2 (KT150)
(8 Ohms, 1% THD)
|40 watts x 2 (EL34)
43 watts x 2 (KT88)
45 watts x 2 (KT120)
48 watts x 2 (KT150)
(8 Ohms, 1% THD)
|148 watts (EL34)
148 watts (KT88)
175 watts (KT120)
192 watts (KT150)
(8 Ohms, 1% THD)
|85 watts (EL34)
85 watts (KT88)
94 watts (KT120)
98 watts (KT150)
|Inputs||1 Pair RCA|
|Outputs||4, 8, & 16 Ohm output taps (stereo)
2, 4, & 8 Ohm output taps (mono)
|Freq. Response (+/- 1dB)||9Hz-59kHz (stereo)
|THD (1W/1kHz)||< 0.1% (stereo)
< 0.1% (mono)
|S/N Ratio||99 dB (stereo)
105 dB (mono)
|Input Sensitivity||1.2V (stereo)
|Input Impedance||100k Ohm|
|Power Consumption||280 watts|
|Standard Tube Compliment||6 - 12AU7,
8 - EL34
|Dimensions (WxHxD)||15" x 8.3 " x 14.2"|